DECK OFFICER TRAINING
PYT is your first choice MCA approved training provider.
PYT is recognised by the industry as a world class super yacht crew training academy. The savings on most of our course modules could well cover your traveling costs to South Africa.
Our value for money is hard to beat in the world of super yacht training. Our course schedule is designed to be flexible to suit super yacht crew.
Let us kick start your steps up the ladder of command.
We provide all the commercial courses you will need for your shore based training in order for you to progress up to Master 500 gt.
For those of you who are overseas, come and visit us here in South Africa. Take a break during your visit and see the "Big 5" of Africa only 3 hours from Durban by car.
Here at PYT you will always receive personal professional training. Our classes are comparatively small. You will experience a hands on experience with our fully qualified and experienced lecturers as they go the extra mile for those willing students who are keen to learn.
YOUR PROGRESS WITHIN THE INDUSTRY AT A GLANCE
Make headway through qualifications.
- Deck hand: STCW 8 to 9 day mandatory course. Optional 4 week course includes Elementary Seamanship, RIB, MCA Yacht Rating & STCW basic safety modules.
- We also offer a 3 week super yacht Interior Crew Training Course which consists of STCW basic safety modules, Stewardess/steward course and a 3 day Basic Seamanship Course.
Courses are run monthly.
Note 50 days at sea are required before attempting the next level.
1. IYT Master of Yachts Limited (Offshore) + Unlimited (Ocean). 3 weeks shore based courses 10 per year.
2. MCA Officer Of the Watch (OOW) 7 weeks shore based course + an oral. 7 to 8 courses per year.
3. Chief Mate. (3 weeks shore based endorsement only). 6 courses per year.
4. MCA Master 500gt (Yachts) 5 weeks shore based course + an oral. 4 to 5 courses per year.
5. MCA Master 3000gt (Yachts) Oral.
All of the above Certificates of Competence have a level of practical experience that candidates need to achieve before he or she can hold the qualification.
The International Yachtmaster Training Worldwide Master of Yachts 200t Certificates are MCA compliant and widely accepted for the commercial operation of both power and sailing commercial yachts up to 200 gross tons. The qualifications are recognised by marine insurance companies worldwide as well as being accepted by all major yacht charter and management companies.
IYT master of Yachts qualifications are professional certificates of competency; not recreational tickets with a "commercial endorsement".
These courses are not for beginners and, although there is no prerequisite for formal training, candidates are expected to have acquired a degree of experiential learning during their qualifying experience. Passive "passengers" on board a vessel cannot expect to qualify.
- Be over the age of 18
- Have logged the qualifying experience relevant to the particular certificate
- Hold valid STCW Certificates for the five elements of Basic Safety training:
- Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting (A-VI/1-2)
- Personal Survival Techniques (A-VI/1-1)
- Elementary First Aid (A-VI/1-3)
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibility (A-VI/1-4)
- Competence in Security Awareness (A-VI/6)
- Hold a VHF Radio Certificate/Licence
- Hold a current seafarers medical certificate (ENG 1 or equivalent)
- Successfully complete the course which includes both theory and practical examinations.
The courses may be taken before the above requirements are met but full compliance is required before Certificates of Competency will be issued.
CELESTIAL NAVIGATION EXAMINATION
The new Celestial Navigation examination became mandatory on January 1st 2014 in order to obtain a Master (Yachts, less than 500gt) or Master (Yachts, Yachts less than 3 000gt) CoC. Refer to MIN 473 for the exam syllabus.
There is no pre-requisite course to attend. The only mandatory element is the examination, hence a course completion certificate is not required.
The Celestial navigation examination is administered by IAMI on behalf of the MCA in the same way as the yacht deck modules. PYT does have scheduled refresher courses and exam dates.
The overall pass mark is 65%. The time allowed is 3 hours. Refer to MIN 435 with regards to additional time for dyslexic candidates.
Material allowed: Candidates may use any method to calculate the position lines or compass errors and may use nautical tables, calculator and short method tables but may not use programmable calculators, smart phones, tablets or computers.
Costs and dates:
Exam only: If you wish to complete only the exam, the cost is US$300. We can schedule an exam on a date convenient for you.
We offer a 4 day refresher course with the exam on day 5.
Attend a dedicated 4 day refresher course with the exam on day 5 at a cost of US$1100. There are no set dates for this refresher course as dates will depend on your availability as well as availability of our lecturers.
Please remember that this certificate is only valid for a period of 12 months.
MCA MANNING SCALE
COMMERCIALLY AND PRIVATELY OPERATED YACHTS OVER 24m
THE INTERNATIONAL YACHTMASTER YACHTS WORLDWIDE 200t CERTIFICATES ARE MCA COMPLIANT.
IYT MASTER OF YACHTS 200t (Coastal)
- up to 150 nm / RANK = CHIEF MATE / VESSEL = >24m <200gt
IYT MASTER OF YACHTS 200t (Limited)
- up to 150 nm / RANK = MASTER / VESSEL = >24m <200gt
- up to 150 nm / RANK = CHIEF MATE / VESSEL = 200 - 500gt
- over 150 nm / RANK = CHIEF MATE / VESSEL = >24m <200gt
- over 150 nm / RANK = OOW / VESSEL = 200 - 500gt
IYT MASTER OF YACHTS 200t (Unlimited)
- over 150 nm / RANK = MASTER / VESSEL = >24m <200gt
MASTER OF YACHTS 500t
- up to 60 nm / RANK = MASTER / VESSEL = 200 - 500gt
- up to 150 nm / RANK = MASTER / VESSEL = 200 - 500gt
- over 150 nm / RANK = MASTER / VESSEL = 200 - 500gt
MASTER OF YACHTS 3000t
- up to 60 nm / RANK = MASTER / VESSEL = 500 - 3000gt
- up to 150 nm / RANK = MASTER / VESSEL = 500 - 3000gt
- over 150 nm / RANK = MASTER / VESSEL = 500 - 3000gt
- up to 150 nm / RANK = CHIEF MATE / VESSEL = 500 - 3000gt
- over 150 nm / RANK = CHIEF MATE / VESSEL = 500 - 3000gt
OFFICER OF THE WATCH (OOW)
- up to 60 nm / RANK = CHIEF MATE / VESSEL = 500 - 3000gt
- over 150 nm / RANK = CHIEF MATE / VESSEL = 200 - 500gt
- over 150 nm / RANK = OOW / VESSEL = 500 - 3000gt