EFFICIENT DECK HAND (EDH)
A certificate of successful completion of an Efficient Deck Hand (EDH) Course is a requirement for the MCA Yacht Officer of the Watch (OOW) Certificate of Competency (CoC).
PYT offers the MCA-approved EDH course at the premises of SAMTRA in Simon’s Town.
Although candidates may sit the OOW oral exam beforehand, the EDH certificate must have been held for 18 months in order for the CoC to be issued.
Similarly, although the EDH course can be attended beforehand, certain mandatory requirements must be met before an EDH Certificate may be issued. The candidate must:
- Be at least 17 years of age
- Hold at least one of the following:
- An MCA accepted Yachtmaster Offshore/Master of Yachts 200t Limited
- A Yacht Rating Certificate and a steering certificate
- A Navigational Watch Rating Certificate
- A Boat Master Licence Tier 1 or 2
- A Tug Rating Certificate and a steering certificate
- Have completed a minimum of 6 months seagoing service on vessels >15 m
It should be noted that this is not an MCA “yachting” course because the Knowledge, Understanding and Proficiencies (KUP) have to meet the requirements of the Merchant Navy Training Board (MNTB) and are applicable to all vessels, not just yachts.
The course consists of five days of theory and practical training and certificates are issued on the strength of the following criteria:
- Full course attendance
- Evidence gathered during the course
- Passing written examinations
- The demonstration of practical skills
|Product Name (Product Code)||Price|
|EFFICIENT DECK HAND COURSE (MCA-EDH-F-003)||USD 950.00|
|Please select the Start Date when making Enquiries / Bookings|
|EFFICIENT DECK HAND COURSE (Durban)||12 - 16 Oct||2020||Booking DBN for CT|
|02-06 Nov||2020||Booking DBN for CT|
|EFFICIENT DECK HAND COURSE (Cape Town)||12 - 16 Oct||2020||Booking CT for CT|
|02 - 06 Nov||2020||Booking CT for CT|